8 November 2005

woefully not 133t

Being a n00b, there's heaps of internet slang I haven't worked out yet. Most of it is obvious by the context, but I often wonder at the origins. It seems like one big in joke that I don't know. Apparently I wouldn't be able to call myself 1337 or 133t, this being code for "has computer skillz". But what does it mean? Where is it from?

I can lol and omg wtf with the best of them. If I wanted to , which I don't. But there's a whole bunch of shit that just goes so far over my head I have to squint to see it.

God, I was always a nerd but more the paper nerd. I still instinctively turn to the library when I want to look something up, though I'm slowly starting to think of the net at those times.

I'm now living, for the first time, in a house with an internet connection, a spiffy broadband wireless thing. Well, dazzlingly spiffy for me, but probably yawn material for anyone else. I have a whole world of information at my fingertips, and what do I do? Discover blogs.

Though I do get lost in the depths of wikipedia quite regularly...


******Update: Well, Wikipedia payed off! I now know what leetspeak is. Woot!

No comments: