8 January 2006

Blogs and the bloggers who blog them

Awww, it's not true that I don't care if people read the blog. Really.

Like every other new blogger I'm sure, I get all excited when I get comments. I feel really touched when I find that someone's added me to their link list. It makes me feel good to have a dialogue with other bloggers. That's why I'm here in blogsphere.

I look at my site counter and wonder, who are you? I've had someone from the United Arab Emirites drop in. English, Finnish, French, Indian, a couple of Bulgarians (hey, I know you're Americans in disguise!) Malaysian, Scottish, German, South African, Swedish, Belgian, Dutch, loads from the usa and a few from Canada, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and of course the occasional Aussie. And more that I can't remember.

Who are you all? I think I've matched up a few bloggers and worked out what city they live in. But that tells me nothing really.

I wonder when I read blogs, who is real and who is false. I read your blogs and wonder what accent you have. I still think in an Australian accent when I read, and it's hard for me to think in an American accent when I read American blogs. I'm sure the voice in your head when you read mine makes my accent like yours too. Do we hear each other more clearly without the accent creating a veil of assumptions?

Like anything in the world, the internet can be used in harmful ways. But the blogsphere I've stumbled into is full of support, encouragement and a kind of caring affection. There really is a kind of community on the web, and its interactions fascinate me as much as the interactions of any other group of people.

Why is there so much positive connection on the web? I think it's partly because we only interact as much as we choose to, and there is no commitment. You can say really nice things to people and they won't expect to come round to your house and be your friend.

And I think that many people are blogging to say what thet feel they can't say or have no avenue to say in their lives. And we all have those secret things inside us, which are easier to say anonymously.

I'm sure some people invent characters on the web. I don't really care. The interactions are still thought provoking just like any fiction can be. Some people I'm sure are being genuine about who they are. If I'm wrong, then I applaude your writing skills.

The internet is another avenue to connect with each other and understand each other better. I feel awed that people all over the world can read what I write, and that I get feedback. I'm glad I can reach out to people from all over the world and touch them through their blogs. I'm still full of wonder for this medium, so new to me.

I am particularly in awe of Iranian bloggers. Apparently nearly a quarter of all blogs are written by Iranians. Or some such crazy amount. Iranians have almost no avenue either culturally or politically to speak their minds. They are forced to keep their thoughts inside by the law and the society around them. But like all of us, they have secret thoughts they long to say, therefore the blogging explosion. They have support in the blog world, as the government is not really happy about Iranians blogging. Their support outside Iran helps keep their only avenue of free speech alive.

If you only ever check out one link from my link list, please please let it be Iranian Girl. She speaks for herself.

3 comments:

Maegen said...

I don't know if you have the Hallmark channel down there, but here in Bulgarland Hallmark plays a show called Mcleod's Daughters. It's about a couple of families who run their own ranches in the outback of Australia. That's how I hear your blogs. kinda

and yeppers, this bulgo-amerikanka was on your site only moments before you commented on mine! I LOVE sitemeter, now that I'm over that neurotic phase. oh, btw, I think that United Arab Emirites blogbrowser stopped into my site from yours!!

Честита Нова Година!! (Happy New Year!)

Confused Husband said...

I love my site meter for the same reasons. To see where in the world people are reading me from. It's surpriseing where I get a lot of readers.

I don't read you in an Australian accent. I'd get it wrong if I tried.

Sometimes the location of the people is wrong to though. Depending on the isp of the visitors. I know for me I live 50 miles from the city that it says I'm from. I live in to small of a cow town. :)
CH

hasarder said...

Wow, Mcleod's Daughters travels far!
It's actually filmed about 50 kilometers north of where I live. (convert that into miles if you must - about 20 or so?) The most succesful local show ever! All the other shows are from the east coast. Don't be decieved by the green in the opening credits- for most of the year all the grass around here is brown and dead.
Most of the actors are from interstate, but the accent variations in Australia are fairly subtle so I guess I sound pretty much like them.

CH - my sitemeter doesn't seem to register the city I'm from at all! So it took me a while to work out who I was on the sitemeter. There's more Aussies reading this than I thought!