11 February 2007

Just one more thing while I'm on the subject

A State Government report (I hope that link stays viable) "says the mental health system is failing 800 mentally-ill South Australians." It outlines 41 recommendations including "a plan to cut acute care beds to fund early intervention programs."

These people are fuckers.

If there are 800 people already being failed by by the system, they are already ill. Early intervention will not help them. The people helped by early intervention are the people becoming ill now, and the people that will become ill in the future.

Taking acute care beds away from a system that is already struggling KILLS PEOPLE.

I knew a girl who died while waiting for an acute care bed.

I knew a guy who spent three days sitting on a chair in the waiting room of an emergency department - and only got a bed when he attempted to commit suicide in front of the desk.

I knew a guy who was released from hospital after several hours due to lack of beds and proceeded to kill himself that night.

I once rang the Acute Crisis Intervention Service, trying to get admitted to hospital because every time I left the house I had an overwhelming urge to throw myself in front of the traffic, and it frightened the shit out of me.

Their answer? "There are no beds. Just don't leave the house."

The mental health system needs more money - not just a money shuffle.

4 comments:

Stinkypaw said...

This is as bad as the psy who told me to that when a possible raper feels the "urge" to rape to tell him to come in the emergency and let a nurse know! Yeah ok! That will work!

Or when my dad was at his worst, one doctor told him to "be more positive" and not to have dark thoughts!

Summer Rose said...

What a sad situation, this reminds me of what my doctors are doing to us. Our son C, was suppose to go back in to get a second oppinion, and they have never called us back to arrange a second doctor to look at him.

Mental health is a very big issue, even here in the states. If no one is there to help someone who is dealing with a mental illness, programs like this are very much needed.
S.R.

ArtfulDodger said...

Good grief! That's like the old joke, "Doc it hurts when I do this!", "Well then Johnny, stop doing that." How hard can it be to see the logic of what you just said in this post, you can't have it both ways. Grrrr. These stupid things just drive me bonkers! Although I wouldn't get any care if I did. Hopefully someone will come to their senses.

Dirty Filthy Princess said...

That is so sad. So beyond sad. There really isn't words for it. I don't know the statistics, but I'm willing to bet that that U.S. system is failing as badly or worse than over there. Something drastic needs to change!