16 April 2007

Interview Me

The Rules: Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me.” I respond by asking you five personal questions (I will leave these questions for you in my comments) so I can get to know you better. If I already know you well, expect the questions may be a little more intimate! Then you update your blog with the answers to the questions (please don't leave your answers in my comments unless you don't have a blog). Include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you ask them five questions.

Belatedly, here are some questions from Desmond, along with my answers.

1) So, what have you been up to lately? I saw something about how your landlord is kicking you and your partner to the curb (kerb?), and he's been sick. Anything else you'd like to share?

We have a metal fan in our bedroom. A while back the safety cover on it broke. (You know where this is going, don't you?) Today I was having a snooze with the fan on, and I got cold. So I reached over to turn it off, and slashed my fingers up quite badly in the metal blades. It bled a lot. It hurts. But I can now confirm that it is possible to stop a fan with your bare fingers. Eventually.

2) Do you and Emily ever get confused for each other - you know, 'those Australian women'? The two of you don't know each other in 'real life', do you? (yeah, I know, Australia's a big place; it's not like you're just around the block from each other)

Australia is a big place, but remember there's only about 20 million people here. It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if it turned out Emily and I knew each other. I suspect we don't, because I know very few people in her city (which is about 2,000 k's away from me). But I would love to meet her next time I'm down that way! I doubt people confuse us, our readership only overlaps on a couple of blogs.

3) I probably already know the answer to this, if I could remember that far back (so, please forgive me in advance) - are you and your partner married? Why, or why not? Any kids?

No, not married. Why not? Well, we haven't come to any conclusions about when/where/how/why. We do know we want to formalise our commitment in some way. No kids yet, but we're in negotiations about the future.

4) Because it's me asking the questions, I've got to ask at least one 'God question': what is your religious/spiritual background, and how does it impact the life you have today?

I was raised Roman Catholic. Now I describe myself as a Recovering Catholic. Actually I don't even consider myself a Christian anymore. But my religious background has had a profound impact on my life ever since. Actually this question is harder than I thought; to adequately answer it would take several posts! I guess it influenced my morals and values, led me to think deeply on theological issues, gave me a large dose of skepticism about organised religion and introduced me to a satisfying personal relationship with God. All of these things ultimately led me away from Christianity, but I'm very happy with the spiritual path I'm on.

5) I apologize in advance for stealing the last stupid question from Fr. Guido Sarducci - Iffa you coulda be-a any-a animal inna da world, what-a animal would-a you be?

A human one? No, that's too glib. I would like to try something with radically different senses and/or abilities to my own, yet still be intelligent enough to enjoy it. Maybe an octopus?


Well, that's all, folks. Any follow-up questions, comments, or requests for an interview - you know where they go.

5 comments:

Dirty Filthy Princess said...

Ouch! That's horrible about the fan thing. So glad you got another month to look for a place and your partner is better.

Desmond Jones said...

Thanks, H.

Sorry I'm so late coming 'round to this. We've been, uh, busy.

Geez, sorry about your hand. No serious/permanent damage, I trust?

And - an octopus; how interesting!

Again, my apologies that the questions weren't more interesting; I was seriously 'dull-ified' that day. . .

TeacherinHeels said...

Hi....so I discovered your blog on The Secret Brain and figured I would stop by and say....Interview Me....figured I could make some new blog friends. Have a good day.

hasarder said...

DFP - Thanks! The hand's getting better.

DJ - That was fun! No permanent damage to the fingers, but I'll have some nice scars.

Teacherinheels - Welcome! Nice of you to stop by.

I had a flick through your archives and managed to think of some questions.

1. What inspired you to become a science teacher?

2. How has living on different continents affected the way you view the world (and the people in it?)

3. Looking back at your early posts, I had to smile. It reminded me of my own excitement at figuring out how to set up a blog, when I knew naff-all about computers.

So now you've been blogging for a couple of months, do you think the experience of putting your thoughts out there has changed anything in you?

4. What made you take up pole dancing, and how long have you been doing it? That's really two questions cunningly disguised as one.

5. Ever been to Australia?

I look forward to checking out the answers on your blog!

TeacherinHeels said...

Hi There...all finished!