5 November 2008

Good on ya, USA.

I'm happy to see that Obama got in. I'm also happy to see that huge numbers turned out to vote. I suspect the feeling in the US has been similar to what we had here after our federal election last November.

Stinkypaw wrote a post about it that reminded me of something I've often said to people.

In Australia, we have compulsory voting. There is occasional debate over whether this is a good thing. While I see problems in the voluntary system, there are two big problems in the compulsory one.

The first is that very few people understand how the political system and the voting system really work. There is little education in schools about it. I've even been asked at the polling booth by someone twice my age how to fill in the ballot. I often hear people quoting mis-information on the system. I think something is wrong when people are forced to vote in a system they don't fully understand.

The second big problem is something Stinkypaw mentioned - what if there is no one running that you want to vote for? Nothing sucks more than wasting your vote because none of the people represented you.

I think there should be one more little box on the list of candidates - saying 'none of the above'. It should be a genuine vote. If enough people tick that box, the election is re-run and none of the previous candidates can stand again.

Sure, it would cost a lot of money. But wouldn't it be satisfying?

2 comments:

Summer Rose said...

Yes I did vote for Obama, and I'm proud of it! Most of the U.S. wanted change and we got it! I have a choice I can mail in my ballot or vote in person, this year I and Ch voted aganist each other he wanted McCain and Palin two I would not even go for, his choice and ideas are just like Former Pres. Bush. There was a high percent rate of Aferican Americans who voted for Obama. If you go to abcnews.com you can get some awesome pictures of Washington D.C. and Square Times in New York.
S.R.

Stinkypaw said...

I would love to see that extra little box! Hubby often said that he would start a party called "None of the above" and his platform slogan would be "can't do worst!"