25 October 2009

All aboard the clue boat...*

Mine is a strange and terrible affliction.

I suffer from foot in mouth disease.

Or rather, the people around me suffer from my foot in mouth disease. No matter how thoughtful or empathetic I am, I can only take my foot out of my mouth long enough to put the other one in.

Witness my latest moment of idiotic thoughtlessness.

I went up to a group of Aboriginal people to ask for a light. We made a bit of small talk, and I asked where they were from. They said they were from the central desert. And I responded: "Really? Hey, do you have some relatives in there?" Pointing behind them - at the zoo.

They gave me a look of what the fuck. I continued, "because I was just talking to a woman in there, with a toddler, and a beanie, she comes from the desert..." Their faces cleared and they relaxed. "Yeah, that's my Aunty."

And I didn't even realise the possible implications of what I had said until afterwards when the clue boat came by and smacked me in the back of the head.

Way to imitate a racist fuckwit, Cinnamon Girl.


*an expression totally ripped from this excellent post by Harriet Jacobs.

3 comments:

Stinkypaw said...

If someone you did make such a comment to Aboriginal people I wouldn't have believed it, but reading this was quite funny, I must say. Good imitation! ;-)

My name is Erin. said...

LOL! This cracked me up! Way to pull it out in the end though.

And I just read your follow up comment on the Thanksgiving Post on Stuff White People do blog. Thanks for backing me up, even if that wasn't your intention.

I can't believe this was my first visit to your blog. It won't be my last. Some days I barely find time to update my own, let alone read all of the blogs I'd like to. When will someone just start paying me to read and write blogs all day? That might be my dream job.

rae ann said...

totally laughing at your expense right now! hilarious!