30 April 2011

Spiced rosewater and quince syrup

Recently, a pile of quinces appeared in my fruit bowl. My dad had picked them from a tree on the side of the road.

I've never used quince before, but I love quince jelly. I was a bit uncertain about how to make jelly though, and looked for another way to use them.

Turns out I don't much like quince as a fruit; the texture is somewhat dry and fibrous. But I loved the liquid they were boiled in! Reducing it turned it into a thick ruby coloured syrup; it's delicious poured over pancakes, and as a bonus I found that a couple of spoonfuls of it works marvellously to sooth a sore throat.

So here is my recipe for quince syrup. This makes a cup or less of syrup; to make more simply double or triple all ingredients, or add extra sugar.

Ingredients:

2 quinces
6 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
6 cardamom pods
4 thin slices of ginger
2 tablespoons of rosewater
8 tablespoons of sugar
water

Cut the quinces into quarters. Put all ingredients into a saucepan with enough water to cover. Boil for 4 hours, or until the colour is a deep reddish pink. Remove quinces and spices, and continue boiling until the liquid is reduced to a syrup and can coat the back of a spoon.

Store in the fridge.

1 comment:

Summer Rose said...

that sounds yummy, I also read a few of your other posts. We haven't had a real summer either, we had a week of tripple diggets and once again we're back in the 80's. Not that I don't mind but the temps doesn't help with farming. I and my boys just picked a container full of black berries they are my youngest favorite during this time of year.
S.R.